Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Big Kitty

Today, I went to a cheetah conservation farm. It was so awesome! First of all, cheetahs are beautiful! I couldn’t stop staring at them. They are graceful, intimidating and built for speed.
Second, I learned a lot about their endangerment and what is being done to counteract it. One of the things they do is breed Anatolian shepherds (HUGE shepherding dogs) and give them to livestock farmers with the condition that the farmers won’t set out traps for cheetahs anymore. There was a lot of other stuff I learned but I won’t bore you with it. Hah.



Fun facts
·         Cheetahs are the world’s fastest land animal (run at speeds between 70 and 75 mph)
·         The cheetah is Africa’s most threatened great cat
·         The oldest fossil remains found in Wyoming/ Texas/ Nevada (how cool is that?!)


Oh and a slightly important piece of information-I got to pet one!! He was purring :)



No comments:

Post a Comment