On Saturday, we had our final meeting with Sharon. She shared her life story with us and how she got to where she was today. I felt privileged to hear about it and was humbled by how much she has been through and how selfless she is. I can learn a lot from the love that she shows these kids in these impoverished communities. She is a friend, mentor, and mother to many that she has built relationships with.
We also discussed what to do with the remaining funds. Since there were less kids than we had anticipated and raised more than we expected, we still have a reasonable amount left. Calvin and I have been praying about it and figuring out the options that we have. There are two things we have agreed upon
1. The money will only go to the kids in the communities that we worked in.
2. We are not going to rush into any decisions so that the money can be spent wisely.
We’ve already agreed to get volleyball equipment for one of the schools. The coach from the school in Ocean view, Mr. F, has trained many players that go on to play for South Africa. Even though this community is one of the main pools for volleyball players, they somehow don’t have adequate equipment. Sports are an avenue to escape from the dark lifestyle in this area. When the younger kids see the older generation breaking out of poverty, it gives them hope to do the same.
I will not be able to allocate the funds myself since I’m leaving this week but I will be in liaison with Calvin as he and Sharon investigate further options.
I am now in Stellenbosch visiting more friends and seeing what University is like on this side of the world. Apparently mullets are in fashion here. I’m appalled.
No comments:
Post a Comment