Thursday, July 14, 2011

Let the Tourism begin!

The week started off rough as Calvin and I were both sick. He had cold symptoms and I had intense pressure in my head especially in my ear. With a visit to his pseudo grandparents house and some medication, the pain started to subside. While still feeling only mediocre, we started to go knock out some of the tourist places that were on my list.
     On Tuesday, we saw African penguins!!! The colony that we saw lives on Boulders Beach and they were the cutest little things. I got a kick out of watching them waddle/run around. 

On Wednesday, we went to the top of Table Mountain and also visited the waterfront! 
(Table Mountain is in the background)

On Thursday, we went and saw Cape Point/Cape of Good Hope. It was so crazy to be there because I remember hearing about these places in school throughout the years but now they were real places in my mind. Cape Point is where the Atlantic and Indian Oceans meet and Cape of Good Hope is the most south-western point of Africa.

I have been seeing so many random animals on the sides of roads and at these different places. Some of them include ostriches, baboons, snakes (little harmless ones), mice and lizards. In fact some baboons were in the middle of the road and blocked traffic for a little bit. 

I usually am not into touristy things but I forget how much fun it is to meet people from all over the world. It's fun to try to guess where people are from and what language they are speaking. We were able to pick out Afrikaans, French, Russian, German, Dutch and Spanish. I would linger a little bit every time I heard French to see if I could understand. I only could pick up phrases here and there but it was still fun.

Funny story from Wednesday. We were in line to buy passes to go on the cable car up to Table Mountain when some teenagers asked us to buy tickets for them. I was so confused and just stared at them. Then they explained that there is a family special and when two adults buy tickets, then the "kids" under 18 go for free. The funny part was that the ticket teller knew these teenagers were perfect strangers to us and still gave them free tickets after we purchased ours. Their names were Henry and Ashley(both guys) and we talked to them for awhile and sent them on their way once we reached the top of the mountain. Kids just grow up so fast. It was quite comical. 

I only have a couple more days in Cape Town and then this weekend we're going to Stellenbosch University. Calvin starts back at school and I'll get to visit my good friend David who also had lived in Doha. I have a little over a week left in South Africa. It has gone by so fast yet I feel like I've been here for so long. 






No comments:

Post a Comment